Monday, March 14, 2016

DIY Tea Stain Reclaimed Wood Art

So, the Mrs. has been on me to make some displays for her jewelry.  She has scoured Pinterest for hours and finally came up with something to make!  I've been really excited about making these since our last endeavor to make our jewelry turntables. I"m going to save how this turns out for another post. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment and let me know!!!



I've used fence boards here, cut 22" long.  I've sanded the wood down, removing any loose wood or splinters.


 All I use for the tea stain is some steel wool soaking in white vinegar and some tea. I've read everywhere that the vinegar and steel wool mixture need to sit for 24 hours, I've had this soaking about 6 hours, so we'll see how it turns out!!



Here you can see the wood is a little darker after brushing on the tea stain, more then anything though it just looks wet.


This is about 20 minutes later after the tea stain has dried a bit, darker again.


Here you can see the wood is starting to grey. I've applied the vinegar/steel wool mix and now it's jus time to wait!



Sounds easy right!! It is!!! Put your wood together, paint it with some tea and then some vinegar/steel wool and wait.  No reason to make it difficult!! I'm going to wait until it's nice and dry and I'll go back over it all with some fine grit sand paper.


Let me know what you think!! And be looking for the final piece!!


UPDATE!!!!


So I'm finally done with this and it turned out fantastic!!!



My wife is tickled pink with it and cannot wait to hang her jewelry from it!!!

What do you think???

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks amazing babe, and I'm so glad you are not only super talented, but also that you work alongside me helping me build our business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete